Up until a few days ago, I had been enjoying this pregnancy. Well, perhaps the enjoyment began around June 20 or so, and ended near July 4... those were the easiest weeks for me. During those days, I experienced very little daytime nausea, few anxieties about birth or newborn baby, lots and lots of rest time, and the weather was fairly cool in Mid-Mo. My skin, hair, and mood were radiant. I felt happy and calm most of the time. I had a great trip to visit my family and friends in my hometown and a pleasant Independence Day trip. I felt pretty good about life, and totally loved getting a pedicure and my hair colored. I attended my water aerobics class regularly and was able to survive the day with only the briefest of naps.
So, in the last week things have changed. I visited the chiropractor for the first time in months in an attempt to assuage my weary back and neck. I've slept very little at night. I've been only able to attend a few aqua fitness classes, and when I am there, I cannot do very much, though its all low-impact. The temperature causes me to be sweaty, and I hate being sweaty on my scalp, back, and feet. My script for Nexium has run out, and is facing the insurance company for review, so I've got a grand-old case of the GERD again. Boo!
I've been quite forgetful this week, including tiny things like switching the laundry from the washer to the dryer, calling a friend to reschedule our appointment, where my keys are (that's not a new thing, though!!). and others.
I've also been feeling super heavy. Like I've got a solid lump of cement in my belly. A big, sometimes squirmy, lump that crushes my internal organs and makes it difficult to roll over. Frequently, the baby has spasms of energy that transform my abdomen into a shaking, jumping, shape-shifting weird thing. If he's active, he's super active! And now that his parts have all formed, I feel hard bits of skeleton like knees, spine, ankles prominently protruding like little lumps under the cover of my skin. SO odd.
To top it off, some of my "gee that maternity shirt is so huge it will never fit properly" apparel is now fitting snugly. I had to go buy a new shirt to have another one long and large enough to go into the rotation! Its a vibrant grape color, and while its cute and matches a pair of fuchsia shorts I also bought, I feel like a gigantic grape in it. Or perhaps like Violet B. from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
My pace is slower, and yesterday I asked Dan if the skin on the top of my feet was cracking or peeling because my feet hurt when I flexed them while walking. They weren't cracked, just swollen! Physically, my body is slower because of my achy joints and feet. I think the energy level I am feeling has reached an all time low... I have about as much energy as when I had mono. Seriously, I have to take a rest after I do a chore like walking to the mail box or folding clothes.
And speaking of swollen... its not just my feet! I've also had puffy fingers for about a month now, but in the last two weeks, my hands have gone to tingly to numb to frozen in weird positions when I sleep. I have to use one hand to physically straighten my fingers when I wake up. Its the weirdest thing, but would be a great Halloween trick! I can't remember ever feeling pain and pressure when I flex my fingers or curl them into a fist. Its SO odd.
The labor pains are still mild, irregular, and frequent. They haven't progressed into longer, stronger, closer together contractions, so its still not time for Baby H to emerge into the daylight.
Wednesday afternoon will be another baby doctor appointment, and this time the plans are well determined by which doctor I see. If I see Dr. G, the cautious, verbose scientist one, I'll definitely have a scheduled date and time to show up for inducement. If I see Dr. Kimberly, the peaceful, nature-will-take-her-course Canadian, she'll probably do a more natural procedure to move things along and urge me to wait another week before scheduling the inducement.
So... this means a baby within a week... or a baby in a week and a few days... but a baby before the "official due date" of July 26!
3 comments:
Oh how I remember those days so well! Hang in there, I know it's not fun, but they are still precious days with your little one still developing...God will bring him when he's ultimately ready and it will be a glorious day! :0)
I've read of many expecting moms who feel that way at the end. If it makes you feel better, David said the other day, "Bethany looks good for being about ready to have her baby in a week or so!" Your baby just needs a few more days!
...and when you get that sudden burst of energy and start doing weird household chores you will know that nesting has hit and the baby is close. Mine came about a weekish before I went in to labor, but for some it's only a day or two ahead of time.
Post a Comment