Tuesday, December 29, 2009

20 Weeks

Hello, baby. 

This week you got your 4 month vaccinations.  You had three shots and one oral vaccine.  You were so brave that I consented to have my vaccinations, too.  I had two flu shots, so I could sympathize with the discomfort you felt!  It was hard to see you so uncomfortable and listen to your screams, but I was relieved that you didn't cry too long and that you were seemingly as good as new after Tylenol and a warm bath.


This week you really started to dsicover your legs and feet. You started to swing your legs back and forth on the changing table and walk your feet along the wall.  You also started pushing off your crib rails and using your feet to help you roll around.  Its really common to see your feet high in the air and you studying your toes.  You did the same things with your hands a few months ago. 


Another thing I've noticed about your development has to do wtih your hearing and comprehension.  You look around to see who is talking when you hear a voice.  It is very confusing to you when you hear a man's voice on the radio, but I am the only person in the room.  Cell phone conversations on speakerphone are also confusing to you.  You try to put the cell phone in your mouth and are very surprised to hear a voice!


You've started to recognize when we are paying attention to you, and when our attention is elsewhere.  For example, if I am typing on the computer or working in the kitchen and you are nearby, I can tell you are looking at me.  When I turn to you, your face crinkles into a big smile.  This, of course, makes me want to quit what I am doing and play with you!

You spent three hours with some friends one afternoon while I was working.  This is really the second time I've left you with a sitter.  You did wonderfully, laughing at their daughter and being content playing with their toys.  You waited patiently and didn't get upset when you couldn't eat right away.


Another thing that happened this week that was really LESS adorable was sleeping disturbances.  You would have a difficulty staying asleep for naps, and so I resorted to letting you finish out your naptime in the swing.  Sometimes this worked, sometimes it didn't.  Either way, it was probably better for you to still have some downtime after playing and before eating.  Probably the worst sleep disturbances came at 8:30 PM for three nights in a row.  You'd gone down to bed around 7 or 7:30, but would wake up screaming as if in terror or extreme pain.  It was alarming and bizarre.  Your dad would bounce you on the exercise ball, rock you, or since a verse of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and you'd go back to sleep as if nothing had happened.

So you are 20 weeks old, which is sort of neat.  It means you are in your fifth month.  I didn't have any clue you'd be this great as a 5 monther.  Not that I didn't enjoy you as a newborn... you are just WAY more fun to be around!  I imagine this trend will continue as you age.

I love you.
-Mom

No comments: