Monday, July 26, 2010

44 Weeks Old!

Dear Daniel,

Forty four weeks is a long time for you and for us.  We are creeping ever closer to a year and your independence as your very own person is growing more with each day.

Something I would like to forget about this week are the nights you slept fitfully and the naps and bedtimes you resisted.  Arching your back, pouting your lips, and howling certainly don't become you.  Yes, baby, I know you have a nasty head cold and that its difficult to breathe.  Its also gross when you spit up mucous because you don't know how to blow your nose or cough and spit. I know you would rather not have me give you saline nose drops and that you abhor the nasal bulb aspirator.  Your cough rattles in your chest and you are miserable.  You did not tolerate comfort from your father.  He tried to read to you, sing to you, and calm you, but you only wanted me.  This was not a compliment, however.  I was sick, too!  Its tough to take care of a sick tot when you are sick yourself.  You will probably have the same experience some time in your life.  What goes around, comes around or the circle of life or something like that.


Something I would like to remember is how cuddly you have been this week.  When I pick you up from your crib (you stand in the corner closest to the door and eagerly laugh and sing for me to come) you nestle your head into my shoulder and my neck.  It is so sweet.  You hug me for about 30 seconds, and then look up and smile.  It is great.  You've also wanted to snuggle in bed with me this week. This is pretty unusual.  I am not complaining because it means I get a little longer to relax in the mornings and I get to hold you.



The weather has grown SO HOT.  You don't mind eating without a shirt on the back patio, so I often feed you out there to reduce the amount of mess on the kitchen floor.  You are content to sit outside and nibble a graham cracker and watch us hang wash on the line or work in the gardens.  You laugh at the kids on the street and at the dogs in our neighbor's yard.  You also must wear a sun hat, which you don't enjoy, because of your fair skin.   You are pretty good at snatching it away from your head!

You went to the pool for the very first time this week.  The three of us went on Monday morning.  I took a water aerobics class while you and your dad splashed and floated.  You took the the water pretty quickly and seemed to really enjoy the entire experience.  You were quiet for the first twenty minutes, but the last twenty minutes you were enthusiastically shrieking!  It was so much fun for us to see you marvel at the water and use natural instinct to kick your legs to swim.

This week we took a lot of photos at a local park.  You were so photogenic!  You were patient as we took pictures of you exploring flowers and a koi pond.  I think this was your first time seeing fish.  You seemed mildly interested.

Your dad started a new work schedule.  He works four ten hour days so that he can spend an entire three day weekend with us.  This is excellent! I can tell that you will like this arrangement because you seem so pleased when both your parents are home with you!  He will also be home with you during the summer on Mondays when I teach at MU.  I can only imagine what types of adventures you two will have.

 I enjoy watching you leave babyhood for the adventurous world of boyhood.  I appreciate you and your joy so much.

Love
Your Mama Bethany

No comments: