Monday, May 24, 2010

43 Weeks Old

Hello Darling Son,

I have many things to tell you about your growth and development during this week.

First I want to share that this week marks our fifth wedding anniversary.  I am happy to report that your father and I are quite in love and quite happy that we had four years of wedded bliss before you entered our lives.   We had six years of romance before we became parents, and I think this was important in  making our relationship so strong.  It is our goal to provide for you a loving example of true friendship, kindness, and selflessness through our relationship.

You turn when we say your name, unless you are having too much fun to stop your activity, and then you quickly look over your shoulder and then look away.  Its cool to know that you are aware of your name and our directions and listening to us.

You will notice that you are holding a toothbrush in these photos.  You love to brush your teeth! I assumed that babies did not enjoy dental hygiene.  I was wrong! You are delighted when you find your toothbrush and you remember exactly what to do!  We are still getting the hang of convincing you that its time to put up the tooth brush.  You love it so much!  You are pretty upset when we put it away, so we appease you by offering a hair brush or a spatula as a substitute.  Perhaps you will never have cavities in your teeth (your parents can boast good oral hygiene and good genetics... they didn't have cavities until after they were in college!).

You started to play Peek a Boo on your own this week!  You dad and I were folding laundry.  You picked up a pillow case and pulled it above your head.  You lowered it quickly and then put it back up.  When I said, "Peek a boo, baby!" you giggled.  We were stunned that you could initiate a game by yourself!


You will notice you are wearing a cloth diaper and a T Shirt in this photo.  This has been your "look" lately.  The temperature is hotter and with such fashionable diapers, I am okay to let you run around (crawl around) 


You haven't eaten much this week.  Its a result of being under the weather.  Your cough is very little and puny, and your nose is constantly running.  Its sad.  You also were contagious and gave your affliction to me!  I can tell you that it is MOST unpleasant.  My ears ache, my nose stings, and my muscles are sore.  It gives you so much sympathy for you, little darling!  While you've been sick, you only let me comfort you. You aren't relaxed when your dad holds you, which is a shame, because his embrance is very tender and comforting.

You have started to obey a really tough rule for you - no playing with the toilet!  If the bathroom door is open, you crawl inside and sit on the floor.  Even if it is dark in there, you just sit quietly in front of the toilet.  Your self control is pretty good!  You have spent as long as two minutes just sitting there patiently, waiting for us to notice your good behavior.  I scoop you up and tell you how proud I am for your good choice!

You had a few funny milestones this week.  You learned how to climb onto objects.  I have a small stair that is approximately 6 inches off the ground and one foot by two feet.  You climbed onto it and sat.  You sat and smiled and were pleased with your accomplishment. I gave you a toy and turned my back to do some work.  After some time, I heard little sighs and cries.  You started to get really upset!  You were on all fours and were trying to reach the floor.  When you could not, you became worried and afraid.  I had to teach you how to climb back down.  This was a tricky thing for you, and several times throughout the week I had to rescue you from your perch on the stair and on top of other objects.

We did a few things together as a family this week.  We attended one of your dad's softball games and we had dinner out at HyVee store on Saturday night. People commented on how sweet and adorable you were. You smiled and waved to them.  It was very precious.  When we arrived back home, you got very excited.  You pointed to the garage and made noises like "DAT".  You were pointing up to the garage door pull handle.  You love for us to let you reach for it and hang on to it.  It is so cool for you!  You do this with the ceiling fan pulls as well.  From start to finish, our trips out of our house with you are so much fun!

You are growing like a week, my boy, and I love watching it!

Love
Your Mama

No comments: