Monday, February 7, 2011

Short Note to My 18 Month Old:

Dear Daniel,

There is not one day that goes by that you do not surprise us.  Today I was surprised by your ability to identify odds and ends in the laundry room. I said, "Daniel, where's the toilet paper?" and you pointed it out.  You also could tell me where the cereal was, where the ice water pitcher was, and where to find the light switch.  We never talked about these things explicitly before.  I didn't even know we said light switch, just light off or light on.
Your dad was really surprised today by your dexterity with a spoon. You used it so successfully to eat yogurt.  You also used the spoon to scrape some off of your bib to put in your mouth.  You've just got so many skills.

When you were sick a few days ago, we had a lot A LOT of cuddle time.  I just realized that there will be a point where we won't do this. You sit on my lap so much and we have so much physical contact.  You are just a snuggle kid.  I wonder if you will outgrow this when there is another child. I also wonder if you will want to do this at age 3 or 4.  Will you still want to read while sitting on my lap?  Will you still reach out for my hand?

Today you came into our bed because you were cold in yours.  You cuddled and slept for 2 hours.  I didn't sleep during this time because I am actually not a cuddler by nature, and I need my space to fully sleep, so instead I watched you sleep.  You were so precious.  You sleep so differently than when you were a newborn.  Your expressions do not change like they did during your newborn dream cycles.  You just look peaceful and sweet and like a perfect child.

Yesterday when we woke you up for the day a little earlier than normal, you popped right up.  You started smiling and waving your arms around.  You were dancing, but there wasn't any special music on.  I think that you were dreaming of dancing or music! It was funny.

We basically cannot use the computer if you are around.  You are just so interested in using it, too.  You want to watch baby movies of yourself or scroll through online photo albums.  You also want to watch youtube.  Your favorite clips are kitten videos and the Mickey Mouse Club Hot Dog Dance song.  You will wait outside the room that we keep our computer in and shout, "HOT Da!".  If we are near the computer, you will tell us "HOT Da!".  Its like you think we are watching this silly cartoon dance anytime we are on the computer.  Sheesh.  We do get a kick out of watching you watch the hot dog dance and seeing you do the hot dog dance, too, so we usually let you watch it a few times everyday.  If you knew better, you'd be annoyed that we don't have cable because you could watch this program every morning and afternoon on the Disney Channel.

You are getting closer and closer to successful communication with us.  You can ask for certain foods like bananas and tell us you are all done with your meals.  You can also often remember to ask for "more please" by signing.  This weekend you started going to the refrigerator and whining until we open it, or dodging in front of us when we are opening the fridge.  You will point out what you want.  Today you told your dad you wanted strawberries for a snack.  You also reached in and got the milk jug and the bottle of Hershey's syrup. What a great snack idea!  You can also pick up the bottle of V8 fruit juice we have for you, and you can also put it away.  You also communicate very clearly about wanting to get up to see something, like the laundry going or us cooking, or wanting to get in or out of the bath.

You still love kittens, Curious George, some dogs, reading books, doing stacking toys, reading, fish, your fish toy, baths, juice, chocolate, your grandparents, and your parents.  You also love my expanding abdomen.  Since before Christmas you have had such interest in my belly.  You want to see it, kiss it, poke it, blow on it, offer it pacifers, hug it, etc.  You reach for my stomach anytime the word baby is uttered.  You talk to the baby in a sweet singing voice.  Its so sweet.

I love you so much, son.
Love
Your mama

No comments: